I think April is my favorite month of the year. Perhaps it is because it is in April that we finally start seeing small signs of spring; or, maybe it is because my birthday is in April.
Besides my birthday, there are many great reason to celebrate during the month of April. One popular April holiday is Earth Day (April 22nd). There are also plenty of other lesser known reasons to celebrate such as World Health Day, Zoo Lovers Day, National Cheese Ball Day, and Home Run Day.
You can find a reason to celebrate every day of the month of April. Consult this list, pick a day, and get to planning. You can keep track of the days you want to celebrate by printing out one of these free 2015 April calendars.
Month Long Observances in April
- Amateur Radio Month
- Autism Awareness Month
- Distracted Driving Awareness Month
- International Guitar Month
- Keep America Beautiful Month
- National Child Abuse Prevention Month
- National Frog Month
- National Garden Month
- National Humor Month
- National Mathematics Education Month
- National Parkinson’s Awareness Month
- National Pecan Month
- National Poetry Month
- National Volunteer Month
- National Welding Month
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- Stress Awareness Month
Week Long Observances in April
- Administrative Professionals Week (April 24 – 30 in 2016)
- National Karaoke Week (Fourth Week)
- National Library Week (April 10 – 16 in 2016)
- National Playground Safety Week (April 25 – 29 2016)
- Organize Your Files Week (Third Week)
- Week of the Young Child (April 10 – 16 in 2016)
- Hans Christian Anderson’s Birthday
Born in Odense, Denmark in 1805.
- International Children’s Book Day
- National Ferret Day
- National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day
- Tangible Karma Day
The First Saturday in April
- World Autism Awareness Day
- 1st Home Phone Installed
- NATO Established
- Tell a Lie Day
- Walk Around Things Day
- World Rat Day
- Army Day
- Caramel Popcorn Day
- National Day of Hope
The first Wednesday of April.
- National Paraprofessional Appreciation Day
The first Wednesday of April.
- National STUDENT-Athlete Day
- National Walking Day
The first Wednesday in April.
- North Pole Discovered
- Tartan Day
- Draw a Bird Day
- Ponce de Leon Day
Born in 1460. He discovered Florida and searched for the Fountain of Youth.
- Zoo Lovers Day
- Encourage a Young Writer Day
- International Safety Pin Day
- National Farm Animals Day
- National Sibling Day
- Barbershop Quartet Day
- National Eight Track Tape Day
- National Pet Day
- U.S. Navy Acquires its 1st Submarine
In 1900. It was a 53-foot craft designed by Irish immigrant John P. Holland.
- Big Wind Day
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day
- National Licorice Day
- Space Shuttle Columbia First Launched
Crewed by John Young and Robert Crippen – 1981
- International Moment of Laughter Day
- National Pecan Day
- Reach as High as You Can Day
- Titanic Struck The Iceberg
Shortly before midnight on April 14, the ship collided with an iceberg causing the ship to sink at 2:20 AM on April 15.
- First McDonalds Opens
By Ray Kroc in Des Plaines, IL, 1955.
- Income Tax Day in the US
- Jackie Robinson Day
On this day in 1947, Jackie Robinson became the 1st African-American in modern major-league baseball.
- Leonardo Da Vinci‘s Birthday
Born in 1452.
- National Library Workers Day
- Rubber Eraser Day
- National Eggs Benedict Day
- Husband Appreciation Day
On the third Saturday of April.
- National Stress Awareness Day
- Slavery Abolished in D.C.
By Lincoln in 1862.
- Daffy Duck‘s Birthday
He debuted in a Warner Brothers cartoon in 1937.
- National Cheese Ball Day
- Sherlock Hemlock‘s Birthday
Sesame Street character.
- First Laundromat Opens
In Fort Worth Texas – 1934.
- Great San Francisco Earthquake
- National Columnists’ Day
- Paul Revere Day
Paul Revere rides to alert patriots that “The British are coming…” – in 1775.
- Pet Owner’s Day
- Chinese Language Day
- Lima Bean Respect Day
- National Bookmobile Day
The third Wednesday of April.
- National Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Day
- Kindergarten Day
The first kindergarten was founded by Friedrich Froebel in Germany in 1837.
- National Chocolate-Covered Cashews Day
- National High-5 Day
On the third Thursday in April.
- English Language Day
- Home Run Day
Hank Aaron hits his first home run in 1954.
- International Sing Out Day
- William Shakespeare‘s Birthday
Born in 1564.
- Anzac Day
In Australia, New Zealand
- National Telephone Day
- National Zucchini Bread Day
- World Penguin Day
- Administrative Professional’s Day
The fourth Wednesday of April.
- Babe Ruth Day
Babe Ruth Is Honored at Yankee Stadium in 1947.
- National Prime Rib Day
- Tell a Story Day
- Walter Lantz‘s Birthday
The creator of Woody Woodpecker.
- Biological Clock Day
- International Astronomy Day
- Kiss Your Mate Day
- Poetry Reading Day
- Take Our Daughters to Work Day
The fourth Thursday of April.
- Arbor Day
Usually the last Friday of April. Celebration dates may vary from state to state.
- International Dance Day
- National Shrimp Scampi Day
- Zipper Day
Modern zipper invented by Gideon Sindback in 1917.
- International Jazz Day
- National Honesty Day
George Washington inaugurated as first US president in 1789.
Will you use these reasons to celebrate every day this month?