Ah February, the month of love… It is so much more though! Of course, Saint Valentine’s Day falls right in the middle of the month and you might be aware of the fact that President’s Day is celebrated on the third Monday of the month; but did you also know that it brings us National Weatherperson’s Day, Lame Duck Day, and Polar Bear Day?
While I think everyone should pull out all of the stops for Saint Valentine’s Day — mainly because it is my wedding anniversary — you should save some energy so you can celebrate every day of the month. Which of the unusual holidays shared here are you looking forward to celebrating the most?
As always you can download the calendar here to print out and use. If you would prefer a calendar that will fit on a full page, browse through this collection of Printable February 2017 Calendars.
Month Long Observances in February
- American Heart Month
- American History Month
- Black History Month
- Canned Food Month
- Children’s Dental Health Month
- Creative Romance Month
- Dog Training Education Month
- Great American Pie Month
- International Boost Self-Esteem Month
- International Friendship Month
- Love the Bus Month
- National Cherry Month
- National Embroidery Month
- National Grapefruit Month
- National Haiku Writing Month
- National Snack Food Month
- National Weddings Month
- National Wild Bird Feeding Month
- Responsible Pet Owners’ Month
Week Long Observances in February
- African Heritage & Health Week (February 1 – 7)
- Children’s Authors & Illustrators Week (First Week)
- Freelance Writers Appreciation Week (Second Week)
- International Flirting Week (Third Week)
- National School Counseling Week (February 6 – 10 in 2017)
- Women’s Heart Week (February 1 – 7)
- International Change Your Password Day
- Langston Hughes‘ Birthday
Born in Missouri in 1902.
- National Freedom Day
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police officially came into existence
- Robinson Crusoe Day
- Take Your Child To The Library Day
- The Day the Music Died
On this day in 1959, the plane crash claimed the lives of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, J.P. “Big Bopper” Richardson and the pilot, Roger Peterson.
- Give Kids A Smile Day
Celebrated on the first Friday in February.
- National Carrot Cake Day
- Wear Red Day
Observed on the first Friday in February.
- Charles Lindbergh’s Birthday
Born in 1902.
- Create a Vacuum Day
- Facebook’s Birthday
- Rosa Park‘s Birthday
Born in 1913.
- World Cancer Day
- Constitution Day in Mexico
- Digital Learning Days
- Disaster Day
- Hank Aaron’s Birthday
Born in 1934.
- National Girls & Women in Sports Day
- National Weather Person’s Day
- Western Monarch Day
This day draws attention to migrating butterfly.
- World Nutella Day
- Babe Ruth’s Birthday
Born in 1895.
- Canadian Maple Syrup Day
- Lame Duck Day
- Monopoly Board Game Goes on Sale in Stores
- Waitangi Day
Celebrate in New Zealand.
- Bubble Gum Day
- Charles Dicken’s Birthday
Born in 1812.
- Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Birthday
Born in 1867.
- Send a Card to a Friend Day
- Super Bowl 50
- Wave All Your Fingers at Your Neighbor Day
- Be Electric Day
- Chinese Lantern Festival
The Lantern Festival or Yuanxiao Jie is a traditional Chinese festival, which marks the last day of the Chinese New Year season and the date changes every year.
- Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk Day
- National Foundation Day
Celebrated in Japan.
- National Inventor’s Day
In honor of Thomas Edison’s birthday.
- White T-Shirt Day
- World Day of the Sick
- Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday
Born in 1809.
- Darwin Day
- National Lost Penny Day
- National Plum Pudding Day
- World Marriage Day
Celebrated on the 2nd Sunday in February.
- National Flag Day in Canada
- National Gumdrop Day
- Single Awareness Day
- Susan B. Anthony’s Birthday
Born in 1820.
- Cherry Pie Day
- Family Day
Celebrated on the 3rd Monday in February in Canada.
- Hoodie-Hoo Day
You are supposed to go outside to shout “Hoodie-hoo!” to scare away Winter and make way for Spring!
- John Glenn Orbits the Earth
He was the first American to orbit the Earth on this date in 1962 in the Friendship 7 space capsule.
- Love Your Pet Day
- President’s Day
Observed on the 3rd Monday in February.
- Toothpick Patented
- International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day
- National Chili Day
Observed on the 4th Thursday in February.
- Pinocchio Day
- First US Electric Printing Press Patented
By Thomas Davenport in 1837.
- Paper Currency Introduced in U.S.
Introduced in 1862 by President Abraham Lincoln.
- Carnival Day
- For Pete’s Sake Day
- Levi Strauss‘ Birthday
Born in 1829.
- National Pistachio Day
- Tell a Fairy Tale Day
- Floral Design Day
- Mardi Gras
Always 46 days before Easter; also known as Fat Tuesday.
- National Tooth Fairy Day
- Public Sleeping Day
- Rare Disease Day
- Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day)
Always the Day before Ash Wednesday
- Leap Day
February 29th only occurs once every 4 years, known as the leap year. The next Leap Day will happen in 2020.
- Yellowstone Park Day
IN 1872, Yellowstone became the world’s first National Park.
If you know of any other special days that should be included in this list, please let me know!